1. He’s a Knight
Knighthood doesn’t come cheap; it’s proof of great achievement. You should always be looking to learn from the best. Why else do you think I’ve just placed an order for Sir Richard Branson’s autobiography?
2. 13 Premier League Titles, 5 FA Cups, 4 League Cups, 2 Champions League Trophies
… and the list goes on. Oh, and those are just the titles he won with Manchester Utd.
3. He’s Scottish
So was William Wallace. ‘Nuff said.
4. He started off at £40 per week
It was never about the money and always about passion for the game. The guy dedicated his life to the game.
5. He fined one of his players for overtaking him while driving
According to Harry Reid, Fergie fined John Hewitt for overtaking him on a public road. He disciplined his players and struck fear into his opponents.
6. He won the European Cup Winner’s Cup… with Aberdeen F.C.
In the space of 7 years, Ferguson won three league championships, four Scottish Cups, the European Cup Winner’s Cup, the European Super Cup, a League Cup, and a Drybrough Cup with Aberdeen, paving the way for a long trip to Old Trafford.
7. He joined Man Utd when they were 21st in the league, they finished 2nd the following year
He had the ability to get the best out of his players. Sort of like Ranieri. Could Ranieri be the new Ferguson?
8. He gave us the second best player in the world
He turned Cristiano into Ronaldo. Yes, you read right, second best. He then sold Ronaldo to Real Madrid for a world record £80 million.
9. He kicked a shoe at Beckham
Oh, and the incident is mentioned in the book too.
10. It’s a book about football
The book paints a picture of the events and decisions which shaped Ferguson’s career. Definitely a must-read.